Search
Wednesday 19 February 2020
  • :
  • :

How Ndeitunga sold us a dream

Since his appointment as NamPol’s Inspector General 13 years ago, Sebastian Ndeitunga has been making bold promises generating hopes that he would deliver.
One of his notable promises to the populace was last year, in the aftermath of what has been termed as the ‘Rundu Massacre’, where five family members were cruelly killed in Ndama location in by their relative, Jesaya Gabriel Chuhunda.
At the time of his promise the cops on duty were accused of negligence with their overall boss Ndeitunga giving a stern warning that heads could roll.
He was quoted in the media as saying that demotion was imminent as they (police officers) had not acted swiftly enough when the family member of the deceased went to report Chuhunda’s violent behaviour shortly before he (Chuhunda) cruelly killed his grandmother, mother and three nephews. The officers could not assist because there was no transport available.
Following public outcry, Ndeitunga directed Christof Nakanyala who headed the Internal Investigation Department to investigate any police negligence in the matter.
Nine months after the promise to demote the unnamed police officers, this promise turned out to be a figment of imagination as sources privvy to the matter said that the officers have not been demoted but a certain amount of money is deducted from their salaries monthly as punishment.
At the time of going to print, this publication could not establish the exact amount that the police officers have been ordered to pay per month or the whole amount that they have been told to pay as part of this form of discipline.
Asked why the officers have not been demoted as per his promise, Ndeitunga said that the police officers implicated might be junior officers who do not have rankings and that that made it difficult for them to be demoted.
“Some of them might not have ranks that is why they have not been demoted but they went through trial and probably found guilty that is why they are being deducted money monthly,” he said recently. Immediately after the killings, the station commander Chief Inspector Andreas Mushongo Haingura was removed from the town’s police station, presumably because of police’s inaction in the killing of the five people.
Haingura is said to be redeployed to the police’s regional headquarters and is in charge of a store-room, while his previous post has been filled by Chief Inspector Paulus Hauwanga.
Ndeitunga at the time denied that Haingura’s removal was linked to the incident in which five family members lost their lives.
“Who said it’s a demotion? A store-room can be guarded by a chief inspector. He is going to be with the same rank from Rundu. This redeployment was already in the pipeline and not because he was the station commander during the incident,” Ndeitunga said of Haingura’s new assignment at the time.
During a media briefing in Windhoek last year about what happened in Rundu, Ndeitunga described the killing as ‘disappointing’ and a ‘joke’. Police allegedly said there was no vehicle available at the time and they would only be able to come later, but they failed to show up at all.
Many complaints are received from across the country that police are reluctant to attend to cases reported to them by members of the public as they (police) tell them that they don’t have transport.
This is not the first time police failed to act.  Last year police failed to arrest or warn their member Samuel Nghihepa who at the time threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend Alina Kakehongo.
Media reports at the time suggested that Kakehongo reported Nghihepa’s behaviour to quite a few police units, including the Otjomuise police station and Windhoek central police station but nothing had been done until she was cold-heartedly killed in Windhoek west.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *