Search
Wednesday 26 June 2019
  • :
  • :

Rockstar’s winning streak with the NAMAs continues

A South African company Rockstar 4000 has again scored big after it was awarded the multi-million dollar tender to organise the glamorous Namibia Annual Music Awards (NAMAs) for the ninth consecutive year.
Since the inception of the NAMAs, MTC has faithfully awarded the tender to Rockstar 4000 Music Entertainment.
Documents obtained from the South African Consumer Bureau, shows that Rockstar 4000 Music Entertainment is owned by South African born Johannes Ferreira Louw and Christian Gouws who has now resigned from the company. The documents also show that the company was registered on 30 October 2009 (in South Africa), a mere two years before it got its first lucrative tender from the Namibian telecommunications giant.
Responding to questions, MTC defended its decision to allocate the multi-million dollar tender to the Johannesburg-based company saying the entity is 50% Namibian-owned and “not the wholly South African company it used to be in the past.”
MTC further refused to lift the lid on who the Namibian shareholders are, referring the questions to Rockstar 4000 Music Entertainment.
The Patriot understands that many people at MTC are puzzled by the repeat choice of Rockstar 4000 Music Entertainment.
Sources told The Patriot that Rockstar is in debt with a number of service providers. Louw until recently, had only paid Christoff Albertyn who runs the voting system for the NAMAs, a portion of the money due to him for the last awards organised.
“They still have not paid the last 50% deposit for using the system last year. No reason given,” the source said.
“They contacted me this year to start the system and promised they would pay the outstanding 50% and the new 50% deposit for this year,” Albertyn confirms.
He then referred questions to Daniela Dell’Acqua von Plato who is the Managing Director of Digmu, a company that provides digital services to the awards.
Von Plato declined to comment. “I am not an employee of Rockstar, I am an independent contractor, therefore unable to answer any of the questions.”
MTC similarly declined to comment on how much it has paid the South African company for the past nine years.
“Best if you get to Rockstar themselves,” said MTC corporate communication manager, John Ekongo.
Louw has not responded to questions sent to him earlier this week.
Asked why MTC has been rewarding the tender to Rockstar for nine consecutive years, a foreign company and at the expense of experienced Namibian owned companies, Ekongo said the NAMAs tender and all tenders at MTC are handled in accordance with MTC’s internal Procurement Policy that goes through a vigorous internal process, from the evaluation of the tender by a committee of experts, then to tender board, then to Exco and then final approval by the MTC Board.
He added that MTC procurement and tender processes do not limit bids to national companies only, as according to him MTC tenders are open tenders and anyone meeting the requirements is encouraged to apply.
Last year media reported that MTC board chairperson Elvis Nashilongo questioned why MTC continues to enrich South Africans with 90% of the funds invested in the music industry being shipped to South Africa through Rockstar 4000 Music Entertainment.
The Patriot had sight of documents which indicate the merging of two companies, namely Rockstar Music Entertainment CC and Namibia Annual Musical Festival. The latter of which was registered in 2015, while the amendments were concluded in October last year. Documents show that Rockstar Music Entertainment CC is owned by Louw who has a 50% stake.
Other stakeholders are beauty queen Odile Madelane Muller who was crowned Miss Namibia 2010. She has a 17% share.
Michael Vermeulen, owner of Mikel-Jes, a technical and staging company, has a 17% percent stake in Rockstar Namibia. Both Muller and Vermeulen have listed a certain Petrus Nehale as their witness. Nehale (24) owns 16% while his fellow director Paulus Fernando Pius (30) holds 16% of the shares. The initial closing date for submissions was 7 September while the presentation was conducted on 27 September last year.
The entire tender process mysteriously had to start afresh in December after it had come to light that Rockstar was, at that time, still wholly South African owned.
Rockstar has a colourful past as far as its dealings with South African Music Awards are concerned, which The Patriot understands has to do with among others, the disorganised 17th awards ceremony on 21 May 2011.
Rockstar 4000 further launched the ‘TribeOne: Dinokeng’ Festival in partnership with Sony Music Entertainment Africa and the City of Tshwane but the event never saw the light of day.
The City of Tshwane and its Mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa attempted to recoup the R25 million paid to Rockstar after they (Rockstar) pulled out of the event claiming the Dinokeng site venue was not ready at the time; they said they did not owe the city a cent.
MTC’s John Ekongo said: “The contract you are referring to, is a result of a recent open tender process, similarly due process was followed in awarding the tender in a fair and transparent manner.
“MTC processes are and remain above-board. Our collective objective from MTC is to each year push and transcend the barriers of the NAMAs to greater heights by ensuring that we put together a world class production to the benefit of our stakeholders – immediately the artists, whether it is an international or local service provider. Therefore the why or whom is irrelevant – the relevance is quality and ability.
Please take note that Rockstar Namibia is owned 50% by Namibians and is not the wholly South African company it used to be in the past. We also wish to note that all Namibian companies that tendered for this job were in partnership with experienced South African partners either via shareholding or joint ventures.”
The Patriot understands that red flags have been raised over the registration of a Namibian company.
Some are of the opinion that the South African owners only used the Namibian shareholders in order to claim that they are a local company and therefore responding to concerns that money spent on the event is not benefitting Namibians and is all being shipped out to South Africa.
Lindela Mashigo, spokesperson of the City of Tshwane was unavailable for comment at the time of going to print.
-This is a developing story.




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *