Namibia University of Science and Technology vice-chancellor Professor Tjama Tjivikua would have stepped down when his term expired at the end of September last year as The Patriot reported.
He is to date Namibia’s longest serving SOE boss and has been the Rector of the Polytechnic of Namibia since its inception in 1995.
“The Vice Chancellor has no intention to continue as Vice Chancellor. He is officially not in the running for the position of Vice Chancellor. He will no longer be vice Chancellor after his term ends,” the NUST Council chairperson Advocate Esi Schimming-Chase said at the time.
In October of last year the vice councillor – who had agreed to remain in the position until such time as a replacement was found, fired NUST’s spokesperson Kaitira Kandjii on the basis of that he “violated the Public Procurement Act by unilaterally and irregularly committing the amount of N$247 235.35 or causing some amount or all of it to be paid to various companies on behalf of the University to provide equipment and services to NUST for its participation at the Ongwediva Annual Trade Fair, thus bypassing procurement regulations.” On 25 January, Kandjii was reinstated to his original position after being away from work for three months on full pay.
The Patriot has documentation in its possession that proves that the process to find a replacement is already well under way and in its second phase where the shortlisted candidates for the position are set to have panel presentations on why they are best suited to replace Tjivikua.
Three of the five candidates flew in from Botswana, Nigeria and Malaysia on 6 February 2019. The shortlisted candidates are foreign nationals Abraham Ogwu, Dr Otlogetswe Totolo, Said Irandoust and 2 Namibian candidates Erold Naomab and Frednand Gideon both from the University of Namibia.
In September 2018, the university had contracted a South African agency to fill the vice chancellor position, but it appears the council have taken the route of secrecy and have failed to keep the public in the loop concerning the imminent replacement or on the progress of the process.
The SRC, Deans and members of Exco are expected to attend while other interested parties are to apply for the privilege and all will be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement ‘out of respect to the candidates.’ These presentations started yesterday and will be finalised by Monday, 9 February.
Moss Gorde, the Registrar and Secretary to Council was in a meeting and unavailable for comment at the time of going to print, according to his secretary, Martha. When requested for a comment, Antonia Goliath an assistant registrar was unable to provide The Patriot by the time of going to press.