Search
Thursday 21 February 2019
  • :
  • :

Oscars 2019 without host for the first time in 30 years

Award ceremonies bring individuals from all across the world together-from music executives to viewers watching in the comfort of their homes.

However this time, one of the biggest award ceremonies of all time has been overshadowed with controversy around prospective host Kevin Hart’s homophobic tweets that resurfaced.

This year’s Oscars award ceremony will therefore be held without an official host for the first time in 30 years.

According to BBC.com, the head of America Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) Entertainment, which airs the Academy Awards ceremony, said it would instead highlight celebrities presenting the trophies.

Reports had suggested the broadcaster was struggling to fill the role after Kevin Hart pulled out of the occasion.

In December, comedian Kevin Hart pulled out of hosting the ceremony following a controversy over old homophobic tweets. He said he did not want to be a distraction and that he was “sorry he had hurt people” and thus chose to exclude himself from that responsibility.

The Oscars host usually delivers an opening monologue as well as being responsible for many of the ceremony’s memorable comedic moments.
As well as the main host, the ceremony also usually enlists a collection of movie stars to present the individual statuettes. ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke said this year’s ceremony on 24 February in Los Angeles would “just have presenters host the Oscars”. The decision was taken after Hart’s withdrawal, she said.

The role of anchoring the Oscars has presented problems for a number of hosts since then. The Hollywood Reporter has described it as “the least wanted job in Hollywood”. The argument about Hart’s tweets and the choice not to replace him with a single host follows a difficult few years for the Academy.

The 2017 ceremony was rocked by the ‘Envelopegate’ scandal, where La La Land was wrongly named best picture instead of the actual winner Moonlight.

Ideas to introduce a popular film award category were shelved last year following widespread criticism.

The Academy has also been hurt by the #OscarsSoWhite campaign, driven by the all-white line-ups in the four categories for acting in 2015 and 2016.

In the past, award ceremonies have taken place in the absence of a host. The last time was in 1989 which was highly controversial, the opening number featured Rob Lowe and an actress dressed as Disney’s Snow White




Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *